I’m a huge fan of brunch and a huge fan of salad and I actually don’t think I see enough of both on the same menu. After the gym on Saturday morning I wanted to have a hearty breakfast but nothing too heavy as that night was our joint birthday party and I had to fit into my sequin dress! I knew we would be indulging later in the evening/night/following day (I have dragged this birthday out over multiple days and events but you’re only 30 once right?!) so starting with something healthy felt right.
Combining traditional breakfast foods – eggs, bacon, mushrooms – with traditional salad ingredients – leaves, oily dressing, mozzarella – and those that fit into both very well – tomatoes and chilli – I had created a brunch that was exactly what I wanted.
OK I haven’t exactly reinvented the wheel and I know I am not the first person to ever name a breakfast dish a salad but I really enjoyed this and I hope others do too. It’s super simple, tasty, fresh and perfect for brunch.
I present to you, Breakfast Salad. Let’s make it a thing!
100g diced bacon (I used lardons)
150g mushrooms, chopped
8 semi-dried tomatoes & 6 mini mozzarella pearls (I bought a packet that these came in together, in oil, which is used in the recipe)
1 packet watercress, spinach & rocket salad
- Put water on to boil and add eggs, cooking for as long as you like your eggs hard (for me that’s at least 10 mins!). Remove from pan and put straight into a bowl of cold water.
- Cook the bacon to your liking in a frying pan.
- Heat oil from the tomatoes and mozzarella and fry the mushrooms in it.
- Peel the eggs and cut up.
- Assemble your salad, starting with leaves and adding mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes and mozzarella. Make sure the oil is drizzled over it.
- Sprinkle with chilli flakes and cracked black pepper.