London summers are all over the place but when we are lucky enough to get the kind of weather that makes the best laid “I’m not going to drink during the week” plans go out the window we need to take advantage of it. This is why London parks and fields get rammed with people barbecuing, balconies become the place to be and people are generally happier as they enjoy vitamin D and fresh air.
This can even impact on a mid-week meal at home – such as this Summer Corn & Courgette Pasta, created when we knew we wanted a proper meal but also to truly taste summer and enjoy it with a crisp white wine. If we were lucky enough to have a BBQ I would cook the corn and courgette on it in order to have a proper smoky flavour.
As we don’t I made do with making it on the stove, as the recipe below shows. If you can make it on the BBQ please do. Easily adjusted to feed a crowd, this could also be made ahead and taken to a London BBQ as an accompaniment to the meat and fish that are being grilled in the London Summer sun.
Summer Corn & Courgette Pasta
2 corn cobs
1 courgette, cut into rounds
1 lemon, with 2 slices cut off the end and then the remainder halved
200g fusili pasta
sea salt & black pepper
- Turn the oven on in order to keep the cooked vegetables warm. If you have bigger or multiple griddle pans you won’t need to do this.
- Heat the griddle pan on the stove, add the corn cobs and pour oil over. Crack sea salt and black pepper on top.
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil, for the pasta.
- Turn the corn with tongs and tongs, you’re aiming to get it proper charred and delicious.
- Put pasta into the pot of boiling water.
- Remove corn, add more oil to the pan and add the courgette rounds.
- Cut the corn kernels off the cob and put in the oven to keep warm.
- Turn the courgette so that both sides get a nice char. Add the lemon slices to the pan and turn for the same reason.
- Drain the pasta.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Squeeze lemon juice and crack black pepper over the dish.
- Serve with crumbled feta on top.
Tip: Some suggested toppings for this are; fresh basil, chilli flakes, cherry tomatoes, fresh mint, bacon and/or Parmesan.