As the weather starts heating up many of us prefer to have lighter meals and a salad with lots of yummy toppings is perfect for this. The combination of balsamic, strawberries and black pepper is the basis of this dish as it is one of those strange but delicious marriages of flavour. We had this for dinner so I went to the trouble of marinating some turkey to accompany it although I’ve made it for my packed lunch and just thrown some plain pre-cooked turkey on top. Chicken would work just as well, using turkey here is to help keep it healthy as it’s a very lean meat. This is the right kind of healthy – super enjoyable – as it’s full of flavour and added zings of the not-so-healthy but oh-so-delicious.
Definitely one to feel good about eating, you are getting all sorts of nutrients, tastes and textures– iron from the spinach, monounsaturated fat (the good kind) from the avocado, acidity from red onion, sweetness from the strawberry, creaminess from the feta, crunchiness from the pecans, the list goes on!
2 turkey breasts
Salt & Pepper
1/2 punnet strawberries, sliced
1/4 of a red onion, sliced
handful of pecans
- Slice turkey into evenly sliced strips and place into a dish. Cover with oil, balsamic and lots of black pepper. Give it a stir and leave to marinate for as long as you can – overnight, all day whilst you’re at work or however long it takes you to cut up the other ingredients.
- Heat a splash of oil in a fry pan and cook the turkey until done. As it’s been marinating and will be a dark colour thanks to the balsamic you might have to cut it to check that’s cooked. Try not to overcook it.
- Assemble the spinach on a plate with the red onion, strawberries and avocado.
- Place turkey on top and sprinkle with pecans and crumbled feta.
- Drizzle some oil and balsamic over everything.
- Crack a whole lot of black pepper on top and serve.